Why 108 beads?
What else you need to know :
- We make all our malas with 108 beads. But malas are also made of 72 and 54 beads.
- Why 108 beads? There are many theories behind the significance of this number, which has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism. 1 stands for God, the universe or your own highest truth; 0 stands for emptiness and humility in spiritual practice; and 8 stands for infinity and timelessness.
- 108 symbolizes the numerical equivalent of Om. One hundred and eight mudras are used in regular Tantric rituals
- 108 suns fulfill the distance between the Sun and the Earth. 108 Moons fulfill the distance between the Earth and the Moon. The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the earth.
- The symbol of 108 resides in the rhythm of nature and the universe. It is infinite and complete, the sacred geometry of our being. And there’s a lot more to the significance of the number 108.
- In our body there are seven main chakras. Chakras are intersections of energie lines, there are such energie lines converging to or from the heart chakra. One of the energie lines connects to our crown chakra, the stage at which the body is enlightened or self realized.